Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving just ended and I'm thankful for movies.

So, I just came off Thanksgiving break and I realized that I never talked about what I am thankful for. One of the things I am thankful for is the movies! I absolutely love watching movies, especially at the movie theater, and this week off let me take a trip there...or several trips there. I went quite a few times within the week, and ended up watching Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, Love & Other Drugs, and Tangled.

Let's start off with Harry Potter. This is the beginning of the end for the series, as it adapts the seventh (and final) Harry Potter book into film, but split into two parts. This was probably the best way to handle the finale. Although it is not the complete story, it is fast-paced and it ends on a perfect note, leaving you anticipating more. It is set up perfectly and personally, it is my favorite Harry Potter movie yet.

Love & Other Drugs, starring Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal was another movie I watched. It's advertised as a sexy, light, romantic comedy. However, there are parts
of it that are more serious than your typical romantic comedy. These type of movies really rely on the strength of their leads and both Hathaway and Gyllenhaal work perfectly together. The movie was much more serious than I was anticipating. I don't know if the seriousness of it could be considered a twist, so I'll just keep quiet about what it is exactly. Despite the more serious tone, it still retained some of the typical elements of romantic comedies. Overall, it was funny and entertaining, and Anne Hathaway was extremely strong in her role.


The last
movie I watched (in theaters anyway) was Disney's latest offering, Tangled. I am still basically twelve years old and watch Disney movies. (Is that weird?) Promoted more along the lines of the Shrek movies, the film ended up being anti-Shrek. It really stands along side with other Disney classics, like Beauty & The Beast, The Little Mermaid, and The Lion King, even if it is not in the traditionally hand-drawn format. Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi are perfect voice actors for Rapunzel and Flynn Rider. The story is interesting and it is overall a fantastic film. It's funny, the songs are great, and the character are interesting. would say it'd give Toy Story 3 (which I also loved) a run for its money.

So, which one would I recommend? I enjoyed all of them, to be honest. Harry Potter was more action-packed and had that fantasy element. Although deemed a chick flick, Love & Other Drugs was surprisingly dramatic, but funny at the same time and Anne Hathaway is fantastic in the film. Tangled is a fun, feel-good movie, and while it is a kids movie, it's fun and adventurous, and has a lot of appeal towards older people too. (Or maybe that's just me.)

When it comes to my next trip to the movies (which will probably be very soon), there are a few films I would like to watch. The two that I am most looking forward to are The Black Swan and 127 Hours. It looks like I'm not the only one looking forward to at least one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment