Tuesday, October 5, 2010

So, I guess I'm picking my subject now.

I guess the focus on my blog will be pop culture. Everyone participates in it. Although some people are more active than others, by watching TV, going to the movies, or listening to music, everyone takes part in pop culture to some extent. (Plus, I have a pop culture and religion class, so that can lead to some interesting posts...I hope.)

That being said, there are a number of people that complain that popular culture is rotting people's mind. However, there's a book out there named Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today's Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter. As the title suggests, the book is about how pop culture is actually helping people learn more, not making them dumber.

I personally haven't read the book yet, but a book review by Anthony Coccilio, a professor of Communication and Education at Columbia University gives an overview of the book. Not only is there a quick summary of a book, it also offers a critique of the book. Reading it is quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment